Tuesday 8 May 2012

Day Sixty-Two


Crafts Council Hothouse Taster Day Road Trip..!


Wow today was an epic day. I was up at the crack of dawn today for a little adventure with some fellow artists for a little road trip across to Farnham, Surrey all in aid of work of course! I must have been a little too excited as I didn't really manage to get off to sleep properly the night before, either in anticipation of what the day might bring, but probably more so worrying about missing my 6am alarm and sleeping in as I'm really not a morning person.


The trip was a taster day being put on by the Craft Council in association with the University for the Creative Arts Service. An intensive programme of tips and advice tailored for craft makers wanting to learn about setting up in business and developing creatively. The day included speakers: Ceramist Katherine Morling, Alex Brownless of Artsthread, Jill Read - Crafts Council Press Officer and official Tweeter, Holly Berry (BB2 MasterCrafts) and Lucy Jane Foakes (winner of BDC New Designer of the Year 2010), Alison Branagan - author of the Essential Guide to Business for Artists and Designers.


It was definitely a worth while visit. Although it reiterated things I already knew about, it did actually reinforce what I my next steps should be. It was definately worth while networking with the other attendees also to make sure you made the most of the day. All-in-all I would recommend this to someone who was literally just in the beginnings of wanting to start up a business. As today was just a taster, I am guessing that I would probably get a lot more from it if I attended one of the proper days sessions, so this is something to think about, but at least I've come away energised. Well, after a good nights sleep I am hoping I'll still feel the buzz in the morning!


Have any of you fellow makers been to a conference thing of this kind before & if so, how did it help you??


Nite all...x



No comments:

Post a Comment